Two choreolinguistic explorations. Both videos are of improvisations. I was thinking about the difference between analyzing movement when it is choreographed, is similar to analyzing a poem. But improvisation is more like "just talking". I tried to different intents for each improvisation. If either video asks for a password it is: dance dance
First video: Doodling with Dogs
My task for this improvisation was to "doodle" focusing on what leads to the next movement. To start moving and to just see where that movement would go if "left to its own devices"
Doodling with Dogs video
Second video: Syntax
My task for this improvisation was a subtle change of focus. Instead of where the movement would take itself, instead I focused on what movement logically flowed from the next. I was thinking of my improvisation more like sentence construction, to make the order of words/movements make sense.
Syntax
In each improvisation, movements cluster together to form phrases. (words to sentences). I am fascinated by the clarity I get for myself as a mover when I think about finding an inner logic to the movement that is based on this body research, not on a word/logic research which is my choreographic method.
Two readings I am pondering - that feel connected:
How to design a metaphor
and this next one, which I have not read yet - its on my list.
Syntax of Dance Movements
No comments:
Post a Comment