"Face to face snout to snout
heart beat thumping of large grey wings.
Teeth.
The better to see you with my dear
Huck a chuck huck a chuck
Spine tethered to the moon:
Mouth is an archway, a door for gleaning an old soul smell.
Time is a winged wolf,
teeth hide a smile lurking behind every yawn."
Section 1:
Focusing on the word "gleaning" I tried to 'spell' out the word in movement to build a sequence of movement phrases to develop.
Section 2:
I just let my body/mind riff on how I felt the idea of "gleaning" worked emotionally with the images in the text.
Section 3:
Returning to section 1, elaborating on the spelling for the first half - then letting the emotionality take over in the second half. Two instructions for myself - play more spatially, and play more light heartedly with my emotional response to the imagery.
Section 4:
Speaking/dancing: creating movement from direct connections to the imagery in the text
Section 5:
Developing, editing, revising Section 4 (dog joins)
Section 6:
Taking the basic core ideas of movement, and seeing how music might change my approach to them. Also, incorporating anything from the other sections. New rule for self: get off balance, don't know where everything is going to go next even if it leads to awkward movements.
Next step:
My next steps in this kind of process is to teach myself parts of these movement phrases and sequences as I edit which movements I will align with which parts of the spoken text.
First question:
ReplyDeleteI remember you saying at one point that the dance exists at the moment and in the space where it is performed before an audience. (An example of post-modern choreography plays with this notion of time in creating pieces about talking about how a dance was performed and re-creating those performances.) Similarly, language exists at the point of utterance to an interlocutor. How do these preparatory pieces exist? Are they dance? What would be the analogy to language? The things you think inside your head before you speak out loud? A sentence fragment of sorts? I have lots more to say but this is my starting point for now.